Roadblock Meets Detour

God knows how many times I have come against the proverbial writer’s block. I know many people proclaim it really doesn’t exist and that the easiest way to get out of it, if it did exist, is to simply write out of it. Frankly, I hate writing mere dribble and it really doesn’t inspire me. So for those who feel the pain of writer’s roadblock here’s a few ways to get free of it.


First, take a break from whatever writing you’re working on. Your brain has gone numb from computing the same words over and over again. Believe me; I know what I’m talking about.

Second, find something that inspires you. It might be a certain type of music that gets your creative juices flowing or photos, or maybe reading some of your favorite authors’ work. Whichever it is for you, make sure you take an hour or more doing just that. If you are inspired right away, write down what comes to you but refrain from going back to your work and rereading it.

Thirdly, listen to your writing piece instead of rereading it. I found that I am newly addicted to “text to speech” programs. Every computer comes with it, so, really how can one not test it out? I decided to invest in a voice, something that sounded a little less robotic and more human. Listening to your work out loud gives you a whole new perspective and view. Believe me, punctuation and flow mistakes will be revealed, when read aloud.  If it is a story your writing, you can see if it sounds something like an audiobook, or if it’s unrealistic or not easy to follow.  If you’re looking to purchase a new voice I recommend SwiftTalker, it is a great program that is reasonably priced and easy to work with.


Finally, edit whatever mistakes you heard while listening to your writing. Then continue to write out your piece. Repeat these steps however many times needed. Remember it is always good to take a break from your writing and just relax. Creativity flows best when you’re relaxed and stress free. 

Comments

Popular Posts