Another Purpose

Before Rain
Do you have a painting you've done that you absolutely hate? Are you wondering if there is a way to give it new purpose and new life? Well, repainting an existing painting is a very simple and easy thing to do. Repainting over an old, ugly painting can save you money. Instead of investing in a new canvas, you can reuse your existing canvas and create a new, more pleasing work.

Yesterday, going through some of my old paintings, I found a poor excuse for an Asian-themed painting. It was one of my early works and just didn't turn out very well. Not wanting to buy another canvas and not particularly attached to the painting, I decided to paint over it. What I ended up with was a gorgeous, misty, rainy painting that I love. How did I do it?

First, lay down your background paint color/colors. Mine were three different shades of grayish-blue.

After
Next, if needed, sketch out your new design on fully dry canvas. For my painting, I sketched out the silhouette and the umbrella.

Lastly, lay down your details and polish your work. I filled in my silhouette with black and added my gnarly, naked tree and rain.  To polish off my painting, I added some shadowing and highlighting.


Remember, once your background is down, the possibilities are endless. So don’t just frown down at that painting you despise, give it new life. Create!

Comments

Popular Posts